State of colorado divorce laws

This is also known as being domiciled in the state. Obtain divorce forms. The forms will differ depending on whether you have children or not. Fill out your forms. Many forms must be signed in front of a notary public.

See What Our Clients Have To Say

You can find a notary at the courthouse. File your forms with the court. Make two copies of the completed packet. You'll keep one copy for yourself and serve the other on your spouse. Take the copies and the originals to the court clerk and ask to file. The judge must approve your request.

Serve your papers on your spouse. Your spouse has a chance to respond to your divorce petition. For example, they may request child custody or alimony, or they might object to your requests for the same. For these reasons, you must serve copies of your divorce papers. In that situation, they should complete a Waiver and Acceptance of Service form and sign it in front of a notary public.

If your spouse waives service, you can hand them a copy of your papers. Generally, you can have the sheriff or a process server make delivery for a small fee. You can also have someone 18 or older make hand delivery, so long as they are not a part of your divorce. Complete other forms.

Colorado Divorce & Separation

Your spouse can file a response to your divorce petition. Check if your spouse is fighting you on child custody, spousal maintenance, or the division of property. Attend a status conference. This will be determined by a mandate from the court. Mediate any disputes. The judge might require that you participate in mediation.

Mediators are skilled at getting people to listen to each and reach agreement. Mediation will save you time and money if you can agree on all issues, so give it your best shot. Finalize an uncontested divorce. In an uncontested divorce, the court can grant your divorce after you submit an affidavit. This will generally take the place of you actually having to show up in court. Finish a contested divorce. No two contested divorces are the same. However, you generally can expect to be in court regularly, maybe even once a month.

Your contested divorce will culminate with a contested hearing on all issues you and your spouse cannot agree on. For example, if you are fighting over child custody, you can call people to testify about your relationship with your children. You will probably also have to testify on your own behalf. If you have a lawyer, they can help you prepare your testimony, otherwise you should prepare a statement to deliver in court.

After you split the assets equally what on-going support does one spouse have to provide and to what age does that occur. We have no kids. Husband is 60 years old and the only bread winner. Wife is 58 and has several health issues. Is the husband required to provide on-going financial support? Yes No. Not Helpful 0 Helpful 3. It depends on the length of your marriage and the property contested.

Colorado Divorce FAQs

Consult with your attorney to determine your specific needs. This depends on your situation - if you are gravely financially affected by the divorce, you may qualify. Are assets prior to the marriage considered joint assets at the time of the divorce? No - but it is possible that if your spouse contributed to gaining equity on that property - that they maybe entitled to some of that equity.

Not Helpful 0 Helpful 2. Not Helpful 0 Helpful 1.

I served my spouse divorce papers now she is countersuing me, what happens next? I live in Colorado. You will need to review what the counter suit says, perhaps with an attorney. If I owned my house, annuities, and k prior to marriage do I lose half if I divorce? This depends on what the judge decides after evaluating all the facts. Your attorney may be able to help you better understand the possible outcomes for your situation. Not Helpful 1 Helpful 1. What happens if my spouse evades service and fails to show at court proceedings?

You cannot. To file for divorce in Colorado, you must be domiciled there.

If you are not in Colorado, you will need to file for divorce in the state in which you are domiciled. If you and your spouse have been married for 10 years or longer and she wants a piece of the pie, she can file for half of your pension. Not Helpful 0 Helpful 7.

Rules for Divorce Without Children in Colorado

Unanswered Questions. My partner and I have agreed to separate after 30 years. We have always had separate bank accounts and nothing is in both of our names. Will I still lose half of the current equity of the house? Answer this question Flag as JDF b - Return of Service. If you were divorced in another state and you move to Colorado, you can register your divorce paperwork in Colorado. Once you register your divorce paperwork in Colorado, you can ask a court in Colorado to enforce any orders having to do with the divorce case from the other state.

You should file your case with the district court in the county where you live or where your former spouse lives.

You decide if you want to file together or file on your own. You and your former spouse will have the same "identities" as you did in the original out-of-state case. For example, if you were the Petitioner in the original case, you will be the "Petitioner" when you file these forms. Either you OR your former spouse can drop off the forms at the court, and it is not necessary that you both go together. For example, if you were the " Petitioner " in the original case, you will be the "Petitioner" when you file these forms. The process of having these forms delivered to your former spouse is known as personal service.

The location and contact information of the court where the divorce was filed is on the top of the divorce paperwork you received. You are the Respondent and your spouse is the Petitioner. The case number is on the top of the divorce paperwork you received.